Gregg Township Centre County, Pennsylvania

September 2016


The Board of Supervisors met in a work session starting at 6 p.m. They discussed vacation schedules and upcoming budget meetings. Ms. Snyder presented the board with a budget worksheet to be used in preparation for our budget meetings. They will hold a meeting to discuss the final codification on October 17 at 7 p.m. with Solicitor Rod Beard from ClickMunicipal.  In order to qualify for grant monies, Mr. Stover asked if the fire company could use the townships internet and printer to do their annual reporting.


Gregg Township Board of Supervisors

Board of Supervisors Meeting

September 8, 2016


The regularly scheduled Board of Supervisors meeting for Gregg Township was held on September 8, 2016, at 106 School Street, Suite 106, Spring Mills PA with Supervisors Joel Myers, Douglas Bierly and Charles Stover in attendance.

Staff present: Laron Horner- Roadmaster, Jennifer Snyder - Secretary/Treasurer


Guests: Keri Miller, Casey Grove, Mike Lesniak, Pat Leary, Russ Brooks

Chairman Myers called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. followed by the pledge to the flag.

PUBLIC COMMENTS (not on the agenda): No comments at this time.


Solicitors Report: Mr. Rayman mentioned the Sunshine Act and attending meetings with a quorum present. He asked that only one board member be appointed to serve as a liaison to other boards and attend those meetings. Mr. Myers supports this but stressed the need for better communication from the President/Chairman of other boards to the Board of Supervisors (BOS).  The Chairmen should be the ones to report at the BOS meeting with the board member who attended the meeting adding comments when necessary. Mr. Rayman suggested it was the obligation of other boards to keep the BOS updated.

Mr. Rayman drafted up the amendment to the agricultural district. Mr. Stover made a motion to advertise for  public hearing ordinance O-16-02, an amendment regarding the conditional uses in the agricultural district. Second by Mr. Bierly. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 - 0  This public hearing will take place on October 20. If adopted, this ordinance will go into the codification when finalized.


Mr. Rayman asked about the township email addresses for supervisors.  He would like to see all of them have email for only township business. He would also like to see the planning commission have separate email addresses that are for use only for township business. Ms. Snyder will check into this. 


The Board of Supervisors asked Mr. Rayman about other avenues for generating tax revenue (Emergency Services Tax and Amusement Tax) and if necessary, how we would go about increasing the real estate tax to balance our 2017 budget. 


Gregg 2025 Committee: Mr. Brooks reported that the sub-committee's of the Gregg 2025 Steering Committee have been meeting over the past few months. The Gregg 2025 steering committee meeting has changed from October 31 to November 2. Each sub-committee will deliver their report to the steering committee before meeting. At the steering committee meeting, the group will work to  reach a consensus on the priority items that will be brought forward to the BOS. They  will them get their official charter for their scope of work from the BOS.  They will also entertain an official resignation from Steering Committee Member Keri Miller at their next meeting.


Emergency Management Coordinator/Gregg Township Fire Company: Mr. Grenoble was not in attendance. Mr. Stover reported that the Fire Company will have another Wing Night at the carnival grounds on September 30th.  There will be wings, shrimp and fries available for purchase.


Old Gregg School Advisory (OGS) Board:  Ms. Miller reported that the OGS Advisory Board met this past week. Three things that are in need of approval from the BOS. 1. Parking behind the center. Mr. Stover has been actively seeking ways to remove the fill behind the building to add more parking to the OGS.  They are looking at a row of angled parking behind the building. Mr. Stover made a motion to accept recommendation from OGS Advisory Board to evaluate and identify ways to remove the fill in the back of the school to gain more parking spaces.  Second by Mr. Bierly. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 - 0 2. Roof Leak: The OGS Advisory Board would like move forward to get 3 quotes to look at repair or replacement of the roof. Mr. Stover made a motion to accept this recommendation and get 3 quotes to look at the roof. Second by Mr. Bierly. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 - 0 3. Landscaping in the front of the building: The OGS Advisory Board have approached Mr. Phil Corman to do some landscaping in front of the building. He would like to give us a proposal.  Mr. Bierly made a motion to go forward and get quotes for landscaping in the front of the building. Second by Mr. Stover. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 - 0 Ms. Miller reported that the OGS Advisory Board will be discussing the 2017 budget. Mr. Myers mentioned that the board intends to move forward with Mr. Rayman's suggestion to comply with the Sunshine Act. Only one board member, Mr. Bierly will attend the OGS Advisory Board meetings unless a specific board member has something to report. He will then give his report and leave the meeting.  

Penns Valley Code Enforcement Agency (PVCEA): Mr. Lesniak gave his report to the board. Discussion of the property on Tool Shed Lane took place.

Penns Valley Regional Planning Commission (PVRPC): Mr. Bierly reported that the Regional Planning Commission will meet on September 19 and will discuss the 2 bridge replacement projects in Haines Township. 

Gregg Township Planning Commission (PC): Mr. Bierly reported the planning commission meets this coming Monday, September 12 due to the Labor Day Holiday.

Playground:  Mr. Horner reported that we are waiting to get quotes to do the fence. We will need to get another small load of mulch, get the signs installed and benches installed to complete the project.  

Tri-Municipal Park: Albertin Vernon/Brian Auman will give a quote for a more environmental friendly layout of the park. Things are moving forward.

Water and Sewer Authority: Nothing new to report.


Meeting Minutes: Mr. Bierly made a motion to approve the August 11, 2016 regular meeting minutes. Second by Mr. Stover. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 – 0

Financial Report: Mr. Stover made a motion to approve the financial report. Second by Mr. Bierly. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 - 0


Beginning Balance


Expenditures & Liabilities

Fund Balance

Capital Reserve





General Fund





Old Gregg School





Street Light Fund





Liquid Fuels Fund





Equipment Fund





Recreation Fund





Playground Fund












Mr. Horner reported the dirt and gravel road project went well. They have one more head well to complete. Mr. Myers did some seeding and mulching at the project site. Mr. Myers commended Mr. Horner on how well this project looks. They have begun the second round of road mowing.  They need to replace 3 pipes on Green Grove Road. Mr. Leary asked about being proactive with the dead elms next to the roads. Discussion took place. We received the application for the Centre County Liquid Fuels grant which is due the end of October.  Mr. Horner will get with Mr. Franson to submit something for this grant. Discussion about the replacement of T419 Bridge over Muddy Creek.



Properties on Tool Shed Lane and Cooper Street:  No discussion Â

Block Signs on Route 45/192: Tabled to next month's meeting.

Codification:  A public meeting will take place on October 17.

Zoning Ordinance Amendment: See discussion above. This public hearing for this ordinance will take place at the next BOS meeting, October 20.

Flood Mitigation: There was a public meeting with little attendance. Information about this public meeting and the CRS program is available on the website. We can follow through with this if there is more public interest.   


PSATS Course: Mr. Bierly, Mr. Myers and Ms. Snyder will attend this workshop.  Ms. Snyder will do the registration.

CCATO Convention: All 3 board members and Ms. Snyder will attend the convention.

Centre County Liquid Fuels Grant : See discussion above in the roadmaster's report.

Halloween: Mr. Bierly made a motion to approve October 31 from 6 - 8 p.m. as the official date and time of Trick or Treating in Gregg Township.  Second by Mr. Stover. No further discussion. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 - 0

Farm/City Week: Mr. Myers announced the date of the Farm/City banquet. It will be held November 9 at 6:30 p.m. at the New Hope church.  See Mr. Myers or Mr. Stover about tickets.

LTAP Bridge Maintenance and Inspection Course: Mr. Horner asked the BOS to attend this workshop.  It is October 14 at East Buffalo Township.  None of the board can attend.

WPSU: The live showing of the Our Town Penns Valley will take place on September 15 at 8 p.m.


The correspondence was reviewed.


Mr. Bierly made a motion to adjourn at 7:58 p.m. Second by Mr. Stover. Vote in favor was unanimous. 3 – 0

Respectfully Submitted By,

Jennifer Snyder



Jennifer Snyder, Secretary

You are here: Home Board of Supervisors Meeting Minutes 2016 September 2016

Office Hours

8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday

The Supervisors

  • Joel Myers, Chairman: 574-1319
  • Douglas Bierly, Vice-Chairman: 360-1822
  • Charles Stover, Supervisor: 571-7298

Contact Information

Gregg Township Office

106 School Street
PO Box 184
Spring Mills PA  16875

Phone: (814) 422 - 8218 Fax: (814) 422-8080

Gregg Township Shed

147 Water Street

Spring Mills PA 16875

Phone: (814) 571-2096